Dominating the sky line of Vijayapura city for miles around, is the Gol Gumbaz hailed as “One of the finest structural triumphs of the Indian builders.” Built by Muhammad Adil Shah, the seventh ruler of the Adil Shahi dynasty, between 1626-1656, as a mausoleum for himself, it boasts of the second largest dome in the world, after St.Peter’s at Rome. Contained within a walled enclosure in the midst of beautifully laid out gardens, the monument is an impressive structure. A square hall, 20 ft,. in length and breadth, is enclosed by four lofty walls rising to a height of 100 feet but tressed by octagonal towers, surmounted by a hemispherical dome on a petalled base. The enormous dome which has an internal diameter of 38 meters has a gallery around its base. The remarkable feature of this gallery is the acoustics, where the slightest whisper is magnified ten times earning it name of the Whispering Gallery.
On a raised platform in the centre of the hall are the replica tombs of Muhammad Adil Shah and his family, enclosed by a wooden railing. The actual tombs lie in a crypt below.
Visiting Timings: Morning 6 AM IST to Evening 6 PM IST
On the western outskirts of the city, lies this exquisite group of buildings containing the twin edifices of the sepulcher of Ibrahim Adil Shah and a mosque. Adorned by slender minarets at each corner, of the utmost elegance and delicacy, fine stone filigree and decorative work. The Ibrahim Rouza is rated as on one of the most beautifully proportioned Islamic monuments in India and an inspiration for the Taj Mahal. The mosque is also a beautiful edifice with five grand arches, ornamented by carved medallions and hanging stone chains. Built on a high stone terrace, the monuments are framed by a lofty tower, ornamented with four graceful minarets, approached by a path through formal gardens.
Visiting Timings: Morning 6 AM IST to Evening 6 PM IST
Surrounded by fortified walls and a wide moat, the citadel once contained the Durbar Hall, palaces and pleasure gardens of the Adil Shahi Rulers. Unfortunately, many of the buildings are in ruins though some beautiful fragments remain. The best is Gagan Mahal built about 1561 A.D., the building serving the two-fold purpose of a royal residence and Durbar Hall. The main architectural feature of this palace is its great central arch which has a span of 60feet 9 inches. Here was enacted some of the capture of the momentous incidents of history. It was here that, Aurangzeb, after the capture of the city, commanded the unfortunate king, Sikandar Adil Shah to appear before him in silver chains. The building though roofless is a popular spot as it is set in large well landscaped public garden.
Built by Adil Shah-I (1558-1580), as a suitable place for worship for the ever increasing population of the city, the mosque is a finely proportioned, rectangular building with graceful arches. The Monument 1600 Sq.Ft. in area is most extensive among the edifices of Vijayapura. The flooring of the prayer hall is marked with 2250 musallahs (spaces for prayer), defined by black borders, each large enough for one worshipper, The Central miharb (an arched recess in the interior wall of a mosque) on the western wall, is covered with lines from the Holy Quran etched in exquisitely gilded calligraphy.
The Sher-A-Burz or Lion Tower is one of the bastions of the fort. In the lower of the two raised circular platforms, meant for cannons lies the 55 ton cannons, one of the largest medieval cannons in India, Malik-e-Maidan (Monarch of the Plain).
It was cast in 1549, in Ahmednagar at the order of Burhan Nizam Shah-I for his son-in-law Ail Shah. Cast in of gun metal, the muzzle is shaped as the head of a lion devouring an elephant. The surface is adorned with inscriptions in Arabic and Persain.
This temple, housing the deity of Siddeshwara (Shiva) attracts many devotees from Vijayapura and the surrounding areas.
An ornamental gateway, leading to a mosque and garden, Mehtar Mahal is a small, beautiful monument built by Ibrahim Adil Shah-II.
Built by Ibrahim Adil Shah-II, this is a two storied palace, with an open front platform, reached at both ends by a broad flight of steps.
Haider Buruz (Upali Buruz)
Built around 1584, this is another isolated tall tower (80 feet high), that formed part of the military defence of Vijayapura.
Taj Bawadi Built by Ibrahim Adil Shah-II in honor of his wife, Queen Taj Sultana, this is a large 223 feet square well, 52 feet deep. Inside the archway, a broad landing, juts out, from which flights of stone steps lead down to the water’s edge.
Ali Adil Shah II’s Tomb (Bara Kaman)
Almost in the centre of the city, and to the north-west of the citadel, is a large square building, roofless and with unfinished arches in dark basalt. This is the tomb of Ali Adil Shah II (1656-72). Probably begun on his accession to the throne in 1656 and intended to rival Gol Gumbaz, the tomb of his father, Muhammad Adil Shah. The building was conceived on a magnificent scale but was destined never to be completed. The platform is 20 feet high. This great elevated basement, on which the arches of this unfinished structure stand, is 215 feet square, while that of the Gol Gumbaz is 158 feet square. In the centre, on a raised platform, are the tomb stones of Ali Adil Shah II and some of his family members, the graves being in the crypt below, which is entered by a door on the east side. The whole structure with the lofty basement would, if it had been completed, have been a most graceful monument in Vijayapura.
The building is well maintained with a beautiful garden around the monument. It is called BARA KAMAN by the people.
Sahasraphani Parshwanatha Basadi
This Jain temple, situated on the outskirts of Vijayapura has a unique idol of parshwanath. The beautifully sculptured idol of black stone, that is about 1500 years old has a halo of 1008 snake hoods, each of which are interconnected.
When the ritual anointing with milk is done, it travels through a maze of tubes, before it anoints the head and shoulders of the idol. This special ritual is done at 10.00 am on every new moon day (amavasya) and at 9.00 am on every full moon day (Poornima). Covered in an ash filled pit, to escape religious persecution, the idol was discovered in the 20th century by a devotee and has now become an important Jain pilgrim centre.
85 Ft tallest Shiva Statue located on Ukkali road of Vijayapura is one of the tallest statue of India.
Basavana Bagewadi located 43 km south east of Vijayapura, Bagewadi was the birth place of Basaveshwara, the 12th century religious and social reformer and prime minister of the Kalyani Chalukya kingdom. The temple of Basaveshwara has the shrines of Basaveshwara (Nandi) Sangameshwara, Mallikarjuna and Ganapathi. There are two fine marble statues of Basavanna and his wife.
Distance from Vijayapura to Almatti Picnic Spot is 60 KM
- Lal Bahaduur Shashtri Dam, Almatti
- Mughal Garden
- Rock Garden
- Japanese Garden Lake (Boating Facility)
- Musical Fountain